March 31, 2011

Review: Night Pleasures by Sherrilyn Kenyon

Night PleasuresNight Pleasures (Dark Hunters, book 1) by Sherrilyn Kenyon


Genre:Paranormal Romance
Dear Reader,


Have you ever wanted to know what it's like to be immortal? To journey through the night stalking the evil that preys on humans? To have unlimited wealth, unlimited power? That is my existence, and it is dark and dangerous. I play hero to thousands, but am known to none. And I love every minutes of it.

Or so I thought until one night when I woke up handcuffed to my worst nightmare: a conservative woman in a button-down shirt. Or in Amanda's case, one buttoned all the way up to her chin. She's smart, sexy, witty, and wants nothing to do with the paranormal--in other words, me.

My attraction to Amanda Devereaux goes against everything I stand for. Not to mention the last time I fell in love it cost me not only my human life, but also my very soul. Yet every time I look at her, I find myself wanting to try again. Wanting to believe that love and loyalty do exist.

Even more disturbing, I find myself wondering if there's any way a woman like Amanda can love a man whose battle scars run deep, and whose heart was damaged by a betrayal so savage that he's not sure it will ever beat again.

Kyrian of Thrace



Review:

"And the dirty joke fails," were my immediate thoughts after reading this book. Don't get me wrong Night Pleasure has the same fun humor that I enjoyed in Fantasy Lover, but in this case it felt stail. Like taking the same joke, but telling it differently. It doesn't quite make you laugh like the first one, and to be honest if it doesn't have a new spin what's the point of retelling it?

Kyrian has been betrayed to a point where he believes no one can truly love him or care about him. Amanda has never really been in love and her most recent boyfriend-- that she almost married--is a complete jerk. Which is pretty much the same build up for Fantasy Lover. In this case Kenyon had nothing new to bring to the story. The two get handcuffed together by the villain, they start pawing each other, they "fall in love," deny each other because they're not good enough for each other, seemingly betray each other, and then the happy ending. One can argue that the leading male isn't trapped in a book this time around, but really it's still the same story.

The only truly good part about this read was the shadow of humor from Fantasy Lover and a look into Kenyon's modern world of Greek mythology. The idea behind the Dark Hunters is truly awesome and the glimpse at the other characters whoms stories need to be told is truly a treat. Meeting the gods is fun, even though it was only one Goddess in the case of Night Pleasures.

In the end this book failed for me on an emotional level. It simply felt like a cheap imitation of Fantasy Lover. The only redeeming feature was that the reader gets a glimpse of Kenyon's Dark Hunter world. There are a lot more characters out there to be explored and mythology that I can't say no to. Even after this disappointment I'm ready to keep going with the series.

Sexual Content:
 References to rape and talk about raping. Full graphic sex scenes as well as graphic talk.

Rating: 2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out

Add it:

Amazon: Night Pleasures
goodreads: Night Pleasures

No comments: