June 6, 2011

Author(1) and Cover Coveting(7)

Finally got my summer sun burn!!  A little weird that I’m so happy to be burning.  When you get some sun, it’s worth the burn!


Bloodlines Author Richelle Mead decides to gives fans some basics for what her new series is—spoiler free!. (Originally posted at author's blog.) Of course she answers those questions with her usual humor and flare!

What is Bloodlines? Wasn't Last Sacrifice the final Vampire Academy book?

Last Sacrifice was the final book about Rose. Bloodlines is a spin-off series set in the same world of Moroi, Strigoi, and dhampirs. (Bloodlines is also the name of the first book in the series). So, VA technically ended...but it kind of didn't. We're just going to tell someone else's story for a while and give poor Rose a break. If I kept telling stories about Rose, it wouldn't be all hearts and flowers. More bad things would happen to her!

So what is Bloodlines about then?
Bloodlines has a lot of the characters from the first VA series, but our focus is on a new set: Sydney, Jill, Adrian, and Eddie. Here's the official description:


BLOOD DOESN'T LIE. Sydney is an alchemist, one of a group of humans who dabble in magic and serve to bridge the worlds of human and vampires. They protect vampire secrets - and human lives. When Sydney is torn from her bed in the middle of the night, at first she thinks she's still being punished for her complicated alliance with dhampir Rose Hathaway. But what unfolds is far worse. Jill Dragomir - the sister of Moroi Queen Lissa Dragomir - is in mortal danger, and the Moroi must send her into hiding. To avoid a civil war, Sydney is called upon to act as Jill's guardian and protector, posing as her roommate in the last place anyone would think to look for vampire royalty - a human boarding school in Palm Springs, California. But instead of finding safety at Amberwood Prep, Sydney discovers the drama is only just beginning...

Wait. You said Adrian was in this book. That description didn't have him. How does he fit into this story?
You'll have to read the book to find out! I can tell you, though, that if you love Adrian, you'll love this. He's all over the book, and everything he says in it is awesome.

Is Bloodlines told in first or third POV?
It's told in first--the "I" voice, and Sydney is the narrator. Before it was written, I'd planned on doing third and rotating through the characters, but once I started working on it, first with Sydney felt like the way to go.

When does Bloodlines come out?
In English-speaking countries, it will be out August 23.

What about non-English-speaking countries?
For a book to come out in other countries and be translated into other languages, a separate deal has to be worked out with each individual publisher. Many international book companies are currently in the process of negotiating to publish Bloodlines, and then there will be a delay for translation. I currently have no information on what countries are negotiating or what their schedules will be for Bloodlines.

Will there be any excerpt or first chapter released a month beforehand?
The first chapter of Bloodlines will be released in the mass market edition (that's a small sized paperback) of Vampire Academy #1, which is coming out June 28. (Here's a pic of the cover). We're hoping some other excerpt will be posted online before Bloodlines comes out, but I don't have any info on that yet. Penguin Australia will also be doing its pre-release teasers, and I'll post those when they come.

Isn't there a short story coming out about Rose and Dimitri in Russia?
This isn't a Bloodlines question, but I get asked about it daily and wanted to clear things up. :) It will come out in an anthology in late 2012, and again: it's a short story, not a novel.

Are you doing a book tour for Bloodlines?
No. I'm doing no more travel for the rest of the year or early 2012 due to my pregnancy, though I will be autographing copies of my August releases for University Bookstore. Updates about my schedule are always on my website calendar. I'd also recommend joining my announcements-only mailing list to have updates sent directly to you about when I'm back on the road again in 2012.

Is there anything else you can say about Bloodlines?
Well, I'm not big on spoilers, so I'm not going to say much more. But, here's an Entertainment Weekly article about the series. Penguin Books also maintains an official Bloodlines countdown page that has some videos of me talking about the series.

What's this bonus that's mentioned in the blog title?
If you've read this far, then yay! You get to hear the latest news. I know it seems crazy since the first Bloodlines isn't even out yet, but I'm happy to announce the title for book #2 in the Bloodlines series: The Golden Lily.

Book 2! When does that come out?
The Golden Lily will be out in spring 2012. And, if all is going well with the baby then, my hope is to be out touring again then.

Do you just like asking and answering your own questions?
Yes. I kind of do.

 

All cover art is not final!!

A little short on the gossip, but the shiny covers make up for it!


Taken at Dusk by C.C. Hunter

Source: Author's Site

Shera’s Thoughts:  It feels a little too photo shopped to me, but I still really like it.  Even the weird peachy tones aren’t bad.  It really thrills me to see a distant shot of the body so that the surroundings are the main focus of the cover.

Taken at Dusk (2)_thumb[1]

Author’s Thoughts:

I recently got a picture of my new baby.  By baby, I mean my new book.  By picture, I mean the cover.  Yes, I got the cover for Taken at Dusk, book three in my Shadow Falls series.  And I really like it.  I also just finished the book so I’m really excited about this third installment of Kylie’s story.

Previous Books:

Born at Midnight (A Shadow Falls Novel)Awake at Dawn

Born of Ashes by Caris Roane

Source:  Wicked Scribes 

Shera’s Thoughts:  The covers for this series are so fun!! I really like this one. Honestly it it wasn’t for the wings it could have been any average PNR cover.  I just love how the utilize the wings to make standard poses look like something more.

 bornofashes

Author’s Thoughts: N/A

Previous Books:

Ascension (Guardians of Ascension)Burning SkiesWings of Fire

Blood Eternal by Marie Treanor

Source:  Wicked Scribes

Shera’s Thoughts:  What the heck is with this cover??  Not only does it feel like it’s introducing a whole new series from the previous covers, it’s terrible.  Generic pose, with some of the worst cover model faces I’ve seen!!

The guy is trying to hard to look imposing and hot.  The girl looks like she’s smelling something bad . . .

 bloodeternal

Author’s Thoughts: N/A

Previous Books:

Blood on Silk: An Awakened By Blood NovelBlood Sin: An Awakened By Blood Novel

The Business of Death by Trent Jamieson

Source:  ATUF 

Shera’s Thoughts:  Love this guys pose.  It’s so relaxed, yet ready to kickass.  The flame coming out of his snapped fingers fits in so well with the scene.  Hands down the best cover for the series yet.

 Jamieson_Business-of-Death-MM

Author’s Thoughts:

“… it’s a beautiful cover…” – Trent Jamieson

Previous Books:

Death Most Definite (Death Works)Managing Death (Death Works)

Third Grave Dead End by Darynda Jones

Source:  ATUF

Shera’s Thoughts:  Love how this cover manages to be sexy and funny with the awesome combination of that smok’in red dress and the sassy tennis shoes.

 third

Author’s Thoughts: N/A

Previous Books:

First Grave on the RightSecond Grave on the Left (Charley Davidson, Book 2)

Undead by Isabella Kruger

Source:  ATUF

Shera’s Thoughts:  Beautiful cover art like this always stuns me.  It never looks abrupt and the colors go together seamlessly.  It has the kind of hot mess babe that can take on the world!!  Little bummed out that it’s a Zombie read.

 undead

Author’s Thoughts: N/A

Previous Books:
N/A

Almost Everything by Tate Hallaway

Source:  ATUF

Shera’s Thoughts:  So far all the covers have been a “eh” to me.  Nothing that really captured my attention.  However, I really like this black background over the white, it looks great with her hair blending in and then her back and face just popping out at you.  Over the shoulder shots always look better to me too.

 AlmostEverything_final[1]

Author’s Thoughts: N/A

Previous Books:

Almost to Die For: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul)Almost Final Curtain: A Vampire Princess Novel (Vampire Princess of St. Paul)

2 comments:

Francesca said...

Some great covers there, I really like Born of Ashes, Third Grave to the Right and Undead. Gotta say the others are all kinda meh, but those ones made me smile!

Suzanne

Shera (Book Whispers) said...

Yeah, those are definitely some of the top covers here. Though I have to include the bussiness of death.

It looks so beautiful, and it's hard to find good covers with men on them.