June 15, 2012

Book Karma, Book Store Withdrawal, & Lauren Kate

Yes, you read that right book Karma! It exists.


For those of you who were back with me when news of Borders going under first leaked you all know how upset I was. (OK, that’s an understatement. But let’s not go back to that dark place.) There isn’t a single decent book store close enough to me that isn’t a religious book store. I have to drive 3-4 hours to the North or 2-3 hours to the South to get to a Barnes and Noble.

Since the 1 hour away Walden’s went under last September I have not seen the inside of a glorious book store. I haven’t been able to browse the beautiful rows, get that sinful new book smell stuck in my nasal cavity, or a simple sit down in an over cushioned chair and “try before you buy.”  Standing in the isles at Shopko, Wal-Mart, and Sam’s Club is just not cutting it for me. Even though I’ve switched back to buying pretty much 99.9% of my books online, it just isn’t the same.  Book store withdrawals, it’s a condition.

barnes-and-noble-booksellersSo on Tuesday we finally went to the Big City of the South and I got to go into a Barnes and Noble!! At first I was so over joyed, all those wonderful rows upon rows of books. Just waiting for Shera to buy them. At one point an employee found me caressing a copy of Rapture by Lauren Kate. Yep, it was Raptures release date and I was going to buy a copy straight from the book store!

Then I realized that there was no sale sticker! It was like I stepped into a foreign world.  A hot new title just came out and there was no sale sticker. Borders always had sale stickers, borders-rewardsabout 30% to 40% off. When I asked an employee they said I could get 10% off if I got a membership. Then I asked them if I’d get coupons in my email. It went south from there. As they spouted off all the great discounts (which I actually laughed at a bit hysterically, and I do feel bad for the poor guy), it hit me that I’m not going to be able to get Border deals anymore. I use to buy every book 30% to 50% off, and then there was that magical time in November where I would get that Buy One Get Raptureon Free!!!! Just because I’d been a Gold Member at Borders for YEARS. (And no, I didn’t have to pay a penny for that status. Well unless you count the books I bought. )

So, I was really bummed out. So much so I left without even buying my copy of Rapture. After all I could at least get a decent price for it from The Book Depository. Well hours of shopping later I ended up in a Target. (Which is another store that is 3-4 hours away!!) And lo and behold they had Rapture for over 40% off. And the best part . . .

100_0775 That’s right my people!! I was delivered by book Karma. That is a signed copy! The last singed copy. Just what I needed to get me out of my Borders Depression.

Just look at that bad boy:

100_0777

It’s beautiful. Now I have to buy the eBook copy so that I don’t ruin this sexy little number.

The moral of this story? Believe in the book Karma and you shall score!

No comments: