April 22, 2014

Review: The Host

The Host (The Host, book 1) by Stephanie Meyer

the-host

Genre: Young Adult Sci/Fi
(Yeah, I know it’s supposed to be adult, but it ain’t.)
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: The Host (1)

Melanie Stryder refuses to fade away. The earth has been invaded by a species that take over the minds of human hosts while leaving their bodies intact. Wanderer, the invading "soul" who has been given Melanie's body, didn't expect to find its former tenant refusing to relinquish possession of her mind.

As Melanie fills Wanderer's thoughts with visions of Jared, a human who still lives in hiding, Wanderer begins to yearn for a man she's never met. Reluctant allies, Wanderer and Melanie set off to search for the man they both love.

Featuring one of the most unusual love triangles in literature, THE HOST is a riveting and unforgettable novel about the persistence of love and the essence of what it means to be human.


Review:

All right, I'll say this up front so that it's out in the open and then we can move on. Me. No. Likey. Twilight. With that said, I loved Meyer's writing. That wonderful, and sometimes beautiful style, is what kept me hanging on to the Twilight series long after I should of ran away screaming. So when I heard she had s new book (now looking like series) I was intrigued. Especially after reading the description! Alien's who take over our minds and bodies. Peaceful ones too, that actually seem better than the humans currently living on earth. Oh, I'm in. Then I put it off, until the movie came out and forced my hand.

Doubt would have probably kept me from ever reading The Host, but I'm so glad that I finally HAD to read it. The whole journey was amazing from the plot, concept, and the romance. I will admit I felt like I was reading a Young Adult title, but I can see how it fits the adult group as well. (But I will never call this an adult title. Never.) Meyer's writing is probably even better then what she produces in her previous books. Every page evoked emotions and my heart raced. Melanie is the human that has a Soul—the beings that are transplanted into humans—but she's not truly the main character. Wanderer is, she's the Soul. At first I wasn't interested in her, but soon I found myself captivated by her and by the end was actually cheering for her. Through her we get to know Melanie and it's such a beautiful feeling when there's no true black and white, it's all shades of grey.

As humans we sympathize immediately with our species. The aliens should be the enemies, so eradicating them should be a no brainer. But what if there's no more killing, world hunger has ended, there's no need for money because everyone pitches in? How is that evil? Going from a society where a headlines of murder and death are replaced by peaceful and dull news. Sure they're taking over the minds of sentient beings, but it doesn't seem that bad right?

Love is another interesting aspect of The Host. This is Wanderer's first time experiencing it, through Melanie. Melanie’s love for her brother, for her boyfriend Jared, and Wanderer finally developing her own emotions. The Host is a book of emotions dealing with all the types and kinds. The conflict of how we think as humans and he alien thoughts of Wanderer will get readers' minds thinking. Especially as one character tries to kill Wanderer to eventually falling in love with her. It shows the crazy side of how humans think and process emotions. Fear, hate, love, hope, envy, jealousy, sadness, grief, happiness and so on.

The Souls and the universe they live in has been masterfully created. The backstory of how they've developed, and all the worlds and the species out there are awesome! Meyer has put a lot of thought and time into the universe of The Host! I won't say that this book is perfect. Wanderer's self sacrificing ways . . . almost seem like she doesn't care about herself at times. Which comes off a little weird. I know she's part of a species that thinks and cares about the masses, but I think they still realize self value.

The Host is a rich and complex world. It's wonderful and despite my absolute loathing of the Twilight love triangle of stupidity. The love square found here is freaking awesome!!! The tension. The realness of it. Feeds the drama monster with in. I love agreeing with the human, but completely agreeing with where the Souls are coming from. The Host is a romance, but it’s more then that. It will make readers think. The gray shadows of humanity make for a wonderful playground.

Sexual Content: Making out, hints of sex, but honestly this a clean read.

 
5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession! (Trust me I am beyond shocked as well. So shocked.)


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

The Host (1)
The Seeker (2)
The Soul (3)

The Host (1)
The Seeker (2)
The Soul (3)

The Host (1)
The Seeker (2)
The Soul (3)

No comments: