December 9, 2014

Review: Blade Song

Blade Song (Colbana Files, book 1) by J.C. Daniels

blade-song

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: eBook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Blade Song (1)

Kit Colbana - half breed, assassin, thief, jack of all trades - has a new job: track down the missing ward of one of the local alpha shapeshifters. It should be a piece of cake.

So why is she so nervous? It probably has something to do with the insanity that happens when you deal with shifters - especially sexy ones who come bearing promises of easy jobs and easier money.

Or maybe it’s all the other missing kids that Kit discovers while working the case, or the way her gut keeps screaming she’s gotten in over her head. Or maybe it’s because if she fails - she’s dead.

If she can stay just one step ahead, she should be okay. Maybe she’ll even live long to collect her fee...


Review:

“My sword arm is mighty.
I will not falter.
I will not fail.
My aim is true.
My heart is strong.” - Kit Colbana

Wow! Blade Song hit sooooooo many good spots. There were a few minor things that did liken it to the Kate Daniels books. Male cat shifter leads. Two smartass leads with some serious family issues, and damage. Yet, it's nothing like Jennifer Armentrout's Half-Blood series to Richelle Mead's Vampire Academy. No. The Colbana Files stands on it's own two feet. I couldn't get enough of it! The mystery, the world (I'll get to that), the romance, and more! Ah! I loved it! Kit Colbana is awesome, she's hardened and strong. But she's definitely a damaged and vulnerable soul, which makes for an interesting read.

However! There are some huge flaws here. Ones that I can not over look. First up, something so basic that it pisses me off the most. The grammar. I'm not sure if it's because I have a old copy or what, but the writing didn't flow. Either the sentence wasn't thought out enough, or a word was simply left out. Or “it” was before the word and after it, even though “it” didn't need to be there. (And it wasn't just “it”. It was “of”, “the”, and more!) So many basic grammar mistakes that I could not believe that an experienced author had them in her book. Honestly I'm not sure if that in later issues the grammar errors were updated, but I hope so. (Maybe if I connect my Kindle to the wi/fi and let it reload the book I might get a grammar updated issue?)

Second, some world building issues. First off it is never addressed if witches, shifters, vampires, and such were always out of the closet or if it was a “revelation”. It was cool that Daniels came up with NH, Non-Humans, as a term but never bothered to fill out the world. So I just assumed the spooks were always out. Most importantly is how Kit qualifies as a half-blood/breed? No really she's a Aneira, AKA Amazon, with a Aneira mother and a human father. It's never addressed some of the legends of how Aneira breed to get more woman warriors. So I kept wondering if there are Aneira men that are never mentioned? Are they a naughty secret they keep in haram houses? Or is the Aneira reproduction process asexual? But Kit's mom decided to have a kid the hard way?

Some might argue that I'm being picky about he world building. Sure. Sad thing is I can forgive bad grammar before I can forgive laziness in world building. (Or maybe forgetfulness?) World building is a huge job. Getting the mythology for an Urban Fantasy, or any Fantasy kind of book, isn't easy. Coming up with it and figuring out how everything applies is tough. But just because it's fantasy doesn't mean it should be forgotten, skipped, or simply never thought of.

Third. Repetitive . There were a lot of phrases and repetitive bits. Damn, was one. Also, every one who met Kit kept calling her a silly little girl. Now I know I'd take offense if anyone ever said that to me. Especially people you have to work with. However, after reading the term used so much I might just go ape shit crazy on anyone that ever uses those words to describe me. “Silly little girl!” Ugh. Or fool. “You're either brave or a fool.” Just. Stop.

Lastly, another repetitive thing. Kit passes out a lot, and has some “freak out” moments. Don't get me wrong I like my damaged character, so if there are some things in your past that wig you out because of they're just that scary, I'm for it. But Kit couldn't deal most of the time. Having blackout moments when she'd wig out, even violently attacking people in her fear. It felt like she should have died years ago, especially in her line of work. She couldn't seem to deal with anything on her own. Damon is great and it was “bonding time”, but I wanted to see Kit be all “bad memory this is how I deal with it”! Plus, it took a lot away from the important freak outs. So instead of going “shit girl that's awful I feel you”, it was more like “oh, another freak out. Great.”

In the end I'm honestly eager to read the next book. The mystery was chilling and I want to see some more blood shed by the villain(s) presented in this book. More! Also, Damon went from annoying as hell asshole to one that's sexy. He still annoys me. Despite how a feel about rushing the romance, especially in an Urban Fantasy, Daniels' does a good job here. The world has potential, and if those few glitches are fixed all will be fine. The characters presented here are awesome and I want to get to know them—though it stings that one of my favorites already died. The witches of this world are pretty cool and I'd like to get to know them more. Overall the Colbana Files is a series I want more of and have high hopes that it will pick up. After all there isn't a single Amazon lead that I've enjoyed this much.

Sexual Content: Sexual humor, some dark themes, sex, and general adult content.

 
2/5- Average/disappointing, library check-out.


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)
Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)
Blade Song (1)
Night Blade (2)
Broken Blade (3)
Edged Blade (4)

No comments: