February 4, 2016

Review: The Trouble With Fate

The Trouble With Fate (Mystwalker, book 1) by Leigh Evans

the trouble with fate

Genre: Urban Fantasy (Paranormal Romance)
Edition Reviewed: Ebook
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: The Trouble With Fate (1)

Meet Hedi Peacock. She's half Fae. Half Were. And all trouble…

I Have Two Words ForWerewolves:

My name is Hedi Peacock and I have a secret. I’m not human, and I have the pointy Fae ears and Were inner-bitch to prove it. As fairy tales go, my childhood was damn near perfect, all fur and magic until a werewolf killed my father and the Fae executed my mother. I’ve never forgiven either side. Especially Robson Trowbridge. He was a part-time werewolf, a full-time bastard, and the first and only boy I ever loved. That is, until he became the prime suspect in my father’s death…

Bite Me.

Today I’m a half-breed barista working at a fancy coffee house, living with my loopy Aunt Lou and a temperamental amulet named Merry, and wondering where in the world I’m going in life. A pretty normal existence, considering. But when a pack of Weres decides to kidnap my aunt and force me to steal another amulet, the only one who can help me is the last person I ever thought I’d turn to: Robson Trowbridge. And he’s as annoyingly beautiful as I remember. That’s the trouble with fate: Sometimes it barks. Other times it bites. And the rest of the time it just breaks your heart. Again…


Review:

What putrid bull shit was this? Maybe I was more sensitive to annoying and stupid leads because of the last book I finished. Either way I gave this book my all. Even after it was clear that I disliked the female lead. A lot. I pushed on. Got up to 50 percent, realized I actually hated the female lead. I pushed on because of all the amazing reviews and recommendations.

But there is a freaking breaking point. And I promised myself that I would use my Did Not Finish rights!

So why didn't things work well for me with Hedi Peacock? I like characters who are different. They can give you a knew perspective. Well it can be summed up in five words: Hedi Peacock lacks common sense.

So think about this. As a young child you witness some werewolf breaking a treaty rule with the Faye. (But you don't know that because you're to stupid to realize this at the time, or to go forth and figure out as an adult.) That leads to the murder of both your parents and the kidnapping of your twin brother. At no point do you go forth and seek answers. Even though you have an aunt that's living with you and she should have answers.

No what do you do? Go on the run assuming things. Never asking questions. Nope. Why were my parents murdered? Who was responsible? Who are my real enemies? Maybe I should ask my Faye aunt?

No. Instead you wait endlessly for a childhood crush to show up. The childhood crush that you basically stalked and blame for the murder of your parents. (WHAT THE BOOKWORMS?) She admits to this. That her whole life she's been waiting for this guy, who is an ass. No really. The male lead is awful. He's the type of male lead the author assumes all of her female readers will fall for because he's a bad boy. AKA a stupid jerk. A jerk who spends more time insulting the lead then anything. No really there's this point where he then goes to strip bar to feed his alcohol addiction. At that point Hedi decides to use her Mystwalker powers for the second time. Which blows up spectacularly. And again I question why she never thought to seek information on how her forbidden and dangerous powers work.

Not to mention that Hedi is unlikable. She's day dreaming at work (AKA entering her aunt's dreams) and can't do her job. Her boss is upset from her lack of work, and he accuses her of stealing. So she quits, uses her powers to wreck work equipment, and then we find out later she is stealing. A lot, basically a thief. So her aunt dreams overcome her, but it sounds like she wants to sneak in on her failing aunts mind. To get sneak pieces of of the land of the Faye. She enjoys it, and doesn't even really feel guilty when her aunt smacks her out of a dream and calls her out on it. Hedi also likes to blame everyone around her for everything. And if she finds something out I'm sure her little mind will twist it again to make someone else responsible. Don't get me wrong she's got some guilt, but she somehow starts blaming it on other people.

In the end this is clearly a romance. The werewolf soulmate type. With two exceedingly annoying characters. The world is basically little snips of other series out there. It sounded cool, but ended up falling flat. Even if Hedi didn't annoy the crap out of me, the love interest would have killed the book all by himself. I will say don't just listen to my review, a lot of my Goodreads pals loved this book. Or read the first bit on Amazon, you'll know right away. You'll know.

Sexual Content: I believe there are sex scenes, but I didn't finish the book. I do know there were steamy scenes up to where I read.  There is adult humor and some minor dark themes.

  
1/5- I couldn't finish it or wish I hadn't

Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

The Trouble With Fate (1)
The Thing About Weres (2)
The Problem with Promises (3)
The Danger of Destiny (4)

The Trouble With Fate (1)
The Thing About Weres (2)
The Problem with Promises (3)
The Danger of Destiny (4)

The Trouble With Fate (1)
The Thing About Weres (2)
The Problem with Promises (3)
The Danger of Destiny (4)

No comments: