April 1, 2016

Review: Tangled Threads

Tangled Threads (Elemental Assassin, book 4) by Jennifer Estep

Tangled Threads  (Elemental Assassin #4)

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Tangled Threads (1)

I’d rather face a dozen lethal assassins any night than deal with something as tricky, convoluted, and fragile as my feelings.

But here I am. Gin Blanco, the semi-retired assassin known as the Spider. Hovering outside sexy businessman Owen Grayson’s front door like a nervous teenage girl. One thing I like about Owen: he doesn’t shy away from my past—or my present. And right now I have a bull’s-eye on my forehead.

Cold-blooded Fire elemental Mab Monroe has hired one of the smartest assassins in the business to trap me. Elektra LaFleur is skilled and efficient, with deadly electrical elemental magic as potent as my own Ice and Stone powers. Which means there’s a fifty-fifty chance one of us won’t survive this battle. I intend to kill LaFleur—or die trying—because Mab wants the assassin to take out my baby sister, Detective Bria Coolidge, too.

The only problem is, Bria has no idea I’m her long-lost sibling . . . or that I’m the murderer she’s been chasing through Ashland for weeks. And what Bria doesn’t know just might get us both dead. . . .


Review:

It's so cliché to say this after finishing a book in a series, but this is my favorite one yet! This book and series is worth all the buzz. Gin is one of my favorite females of the Urban Fantasy genre, and basically just my favorite female lead in general. She's the perfect antihero. Not only that but I love how Estep doesn't justify Gin and her motives, she accepts that she is a monster. A monster with a heart, but one never the less. Oh and she's unapologetic.

Gin doesn't fall prey to sex hang-ups, judging others (how can she do that after all she's done and lived through), she's actually witty, and despite her legendary status as the Spider she is human. Not quite to the degree of us normal non-assassin types, but that's the true charm. Because despite all of her badassery she is human, she's relatable, and I adore how Estep has realized Gin.

From the get go Gin has been so real and a character I respect. Which is funny considering she's a despicable assassin. The thing is her codes and rules are what set her apart. Especially since she does still have a heart. And since Fletcher's death she's slowly becoming even more alive. Which may or may not make her stronger in her show down with Mab. (But I think having more to live for and protect is what makes Gin amazing.) This is Gin's hero journey and I love it. Especially because it's accompanied by Gin just taking out the villains in good old fashion blood baths. Which only highlights how human she is by worrying about love and how things will turn out once those loved ones find out who she truly is as the Spider. Because she can't take that back and she won't.

Now let's get back to her stone cold heart that's waking up. Tangled Threads made me extremely nervous on how the yummy Owen Grayson would be handled and Gin's little sister Bria. Gin might be tough but she got her self in a bad way with Detective Asshole (Donovan Caine) and had her heart broken. More than she'd like to let on. So things started off a little rocky. Then Owend and Gin started earning one another. It sounds tacky, but Owen and Gin are my new favorite couple. They're relationship is real and I don't feel like it's just a trope to make fans squee.

That said I loved how everything else played out in Tangled Threads. Obviously Mab has to handle her Spider issue and what better way to kill an assassin than with another assassin. Elektra was amazing! Talk about despicable killers to show the other side of the coin. It's interesting getting all of these extra glimpses of Mab, especially when interacting with her hired assassin.

Bria is a very interesting character and I already love her. Even if she has the power to totally break Gin's heart. Not to mention that little Finn and Bria thing we were all kind of hoping for . . . well I won't spoil it. It's magical how amazing Gin's family is and it's a treat getting to be with them. I'm especially looking forward to some back story on the Deveraux sisters. More of Fletcher's ties to Gin's family is revealed and it's perfect. The pacing of Tangled Threads is on point and the whole book moves so effortlessly. It setups so much for the future books, but it didn't feel like a setup. The journey to take down Mab isn't going to be easy, and I love that Gin won't stoop to Mab's level. Gin won't hesitate to take out her enemy, but she still has her own set of rules to live by.

Sexual Content: Sexual humor, some dark themes, and yes there be sex scenes.

 
5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession!


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:

Spider’s Bite (1)
Web of Lies (2)
Venom (3)
Tangled Threads (4)
Spider’s Revenge (5)
By a Thread (6)
Widow’s Web (7)
Deadly Sting (8)
Heart of Venom (9)
The Spider (10)
Poison Promise (11)
Black Widow (12)
Spider’s Trap (13)

Spider’s Bite (1)
Web of Lies (2)
Venom (3)
Tangled Threads (4)
Spider’s Revenge (5)
By a Thread (6)
Widow’s Web (7)
Deadly Sting (8)
Heart of Venom (9)
The Spider (10)
Poison Promise (11)
Black Widow (12)
Spider’s Trap (13)

Spider’s Bite (1)
Web of Lies (2)
Venom (3)
Tangled Threads (4)
Spider’s Revenge (5)
By a Thread (6)
Widow’s Web (7)
Deadly Sting (8)
Heart of Venom (9)
The Spider (10)
Poison Promise (11)
Black Widow (12)
Spider’s Trap (13)

No comments: