May 5, 2016

Review: Lover Eternal

Lover Eternal (Black Dagger Brotherhood, book 2) by J.R. Ward

lover eternal black dagger brotherhood jr ward

Genre: Urban Fantasy
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Lover Eternal (2)

In the shadows of the night in Caldwell, New York, there's a deadly turf war raging between vampires and their slayers. There exists a secret band of brothers like no other-six vampire warriors, defenders of their race. Possessed by a deadly beast, Rhage is the most dangerous of the Black Dagger Brotherhood.

Within the brotherhood, Rhage is the vampire with the strongest appetites. He's the best fighter, the quickest to act on his impulses, and the most voracious lover-for inside him burns a ferocious curse cast by the Scribe Virgin. Owned by this dark side, Rhage fears the time when his inner dragon is unleashed, making him a danger to everyone around him.

Mary Luce, a survivor of many hardships is unwittingly thrown into the vampire world and reliant on Rhage's protection. With a life-threatening curse of her own, Mary is not looking for love. She lost her faith in miracles years ago. But when Rhage's intense animal attraction turns into something more emotional, he knows that he must make Mary his alone. And while their enemies close in, Mary fights desperately to gain life eternal with the one she loves...


Review:

Lover Eternal took me by surprise when I first read it. Rhage was the brother that I was least interested in and I was actually disappointed at the time that his book was next! So imagine my surprise when Mary and Rhage blew my mind socks. Not to mention that even after continuing with the series Mary and Rhage have remained one of my favorite couples. Any time they showed up in other books I'd become excited and fangirl squeal! As the years went on I wondered why they were my fave couple and if I had just become entranced by them because I had expected nothing from Rhage's story. Well after my reread it only solidified how much I adore Mary and Rhage. Why I love Rage!!!

Mary and Rhage have an epic love story. It's moving. Despite the fact that Rhage gets around. He sleeps with countless women to help take the edge off The Beast that lives within him. Afraid that it will hurt the ones he loves when it emerges. Rhage is complex, thoughtful, and totally in touch with his emotions. I love that he's willing to fight and go through so much with Mary. Not to mention he knows when to back off.

Mary is a warrior. The way Ward handles Mary's illness and the reality of the toll it takes is amazing. The feeding tube punctures and scares. Picc line scars and so on. As someone who has helped take care of those things I was moved. They're not mentioned again after Rhage initially sees them, but I enjoyed that Ward did not skip out on the reality of it. Not to mention the mindset and loss. The struggle and hopelessness of the situation. The fact that it takes a fighter to keep pushing and holding on to the hope of a someday. Mary is an amazing person and I love her dearly.

When Rhage and Mary are together my heart sings. Sure there where a few aspects that at first annoyed me. Like Mary getting her mind wiped, but Rhage immediately does something about it and doesn't waste time. As the two learn to trust in each other and to finely give in it's beautiful.

Not to mention that Lover Eternal has amazing side stories. Mr. O is one heck of a creepy villain. It was disturbing feeling pity for him. As he gave up his less then good human life to become a lesser. Mr. O makes one hell of complex villain. Not to mention that Zsadist's story is starting to fire up. John Mathew, one of my all time fave characters, is introduced and we get to follow him. That's what I've always loved about the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Not only do we get the couple's story, but other characters' stories. It adds so many layers to not only the complex world, but to the events happening. It's what makes BDB one of my all time fave PNR series. Oh, and Butch. I love that human.

In the end I'm pretty sure this will always be one of my favorite books in the series. Mary and Rhage will always be not only my favorite couple, but characters. They both stand on their own separately and then send my heart on a wild ride when they're together. Despite all the stereotypes out their Mary is unique. Few try to handle a character doomed by a horrible disease, or created someone quite like her. (Especially for the PNR genre.) Rhage has been mimicked many times. You know the playboy who can't be tamed. But Rhage is one of the originals and he isn't just a hot body. He has depth, a personality and sense of humor that I still adore to this day. The side stories are fabulous I love that it kicks off Zsadist and Bella's story, Butch as he finds his place among the Brotherhood, the journey of John, and keeps the world going outside of the bedroom scenes. This series handles dark themes and gore with the perfect balance of happiness and hope. It's one of the reasons I love it so much.

Sexual Content: Sex scenes, sexual humor, dark themes and memories of past events to characters.

 
5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession!


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)

No comments: