May 10, 2016

Review: Lover Revealed

Lover Revealed (Black Dagger Brotherhood, book 4) by J.R. Ward

lover revealed black dagger brotherhood jr ward

Genre: Paranormal Romance
Edition Reviewed: Paperback
Amazon: Paperback | Kindle
Goodreads: Lover Revealed (4)

**Initial review from 2010.**

Butch O'Neal is a fighter by nature. A hard-living ex-homicide cop, he's the only human ever to be allowed in the inner circle of the Black Dagger Brotherhood. And he wants to go even deeper into the vampire world—to engage in the turf war with the lessers. He's got nothing to lose. His heart belongs to a female vampire, an aristocratic beauty who's way out of his league. If he can't have Marissa, then at least he can fight side by side with the Brothers...

Fate curses him with the very thing he wants. When Butch sacrifices himself to save a civilian vampire from the slayers, he falls prey to the darkest force in the war. Left for dead, he's found by a miracle, and the Brotherhood calls on Marissa to bring him back. But even her love may not be enough to save him...


Review:

Quite a few fans of the series have told me that they hadn't been interested in Butch's story and that it was a disappointing read. The weakest entry into the Black Dagger Brotherhood series. Either because there was too much side stories taking away from the "main couple", or they didn't like Butch and Marissa.

Um, hello! Butch was the only human male character in the series and I found him completely fascinating. For me Butch's official book was the one I had been dying of curiosity to read about. Not just because he was the only male human, but because he's been a favorite character of mine since book one. Butch and Marissa's tango consumed me from the first book. Even Butch's disturbing-endearing-hilarious stalking warmed my heart.

From the last book I was bleeding for Butch as he wants to be in the foray with his brothers. But he knows that he is still an outsider. It comes as no surprise that Butch would get a loop hole to become a vampire. In the end Butch has enough vamp blood in him to be “turned,” I was slightly disappointed by this my first go around. But I don't mind it so much now. Even if having a human as part of the group tickled my fancy. Maybe because the emotions and need for him to become part of the Brotherhood really hit me hard this time. Oh, and you won't believe who is blood line related to! Butch makes a great member of team blood suckers. Really.

Besides things aren't all hunky dory. At the beginning Butch goes through some scary shit. He's forever changed, but it also opens the door way for a new stage in the war between The Virgin Scribe and the Omega.

I'm getting a strong feeling that with this series a lot of the relationship issues are mainly due to the characters not communicating. A couple of times I got frustrated with Butch and Marissa when the thing that would have solved their issue was a quick sit and talk. What do I know, tension makes the drama! (AND miscommunications is the key ingredient to any dramatic/angst filled romance.)

Marissa is an interesting character. I feel like I should be annoyed with her. However, she embodies the issues that the glymera—AKA vampire society—has. This is old school sexist shit. The kind of stuff that makes my blood boil. Which makes Marissa such an amazing character. As she is forced away from the life that has repressed her. It's painful to realize how less she thinks of herself because of what society thinks she should be. I was moved as Marissa decides to do what she wants to do, and to make herself happy. Sure there were moments that I just wanted to bang my head against a wall. But then I realized this was the first steps of a rebirth for glymera and its sexist ways.

Lover Revealed touches on how bonded males aren't perfect, that domestic abuse is very much real in in vampire society. It's refreshing to see reality touch home here. Making these books legitimate and not so much some silly dark fantasy. Especially as it emphasized how easily women in the glymera are property with no true rights. I can't wait to read the later books to see women's rights transpire in the glymera. Especially concerning the Scribe Virgin.

As always Ward is fantastic at including side stories. John Mathew's side story was really engaging. The reader gets to follow him as his rage finally gets turned into grief at the lost of Tohrment leaving. He's getting closer to the transition and the brother's are trying to help guide him. Zsadist makes fantastic little appearances as he tries to “help” John out. It's kind of sad as John struggles to accept his muteness, and he sees it as a weakness. But I adore that he finally gets some friends. As the trio—John, Qhuinn, Blaylock—are not only one of my favorite storylines but characters. Rhev and his head of security make a very interesting story here and I'm ready for the dirt on sympaths already!

Mr. X has been reinstated as the head Fore-lesser and he's out to find a permanent way to end his undead life, he does not want to go back to the Omega. Mr. X was the very first lesser we were introduced to in Dark Lover. I really enjoyed his story as he tried to find the keys to a prophecy that would give one man the power to devour lessers and really kill them. The fact that an evil guy like Mr. X was trying so desperately to escape the “ultimate evil.” The irony was not lost on me. Though I truly felt sympathy for the poor guy.

Last time I found the story between Vishous and Butch “really interesting”. Well this time I was moved. Oh, my gosh. Bravo Ward. Bravo. Vishous comes to the conclusion that his feelings for Butch are deep. Not just Best Friend-I'd-Die-For deep. But I'd-sell-my-soul-to-protect-you deep. Love that knows no gender. What I love is that once Butch realizes it the truth doesn't faze him. On some level he's known all along. Not to mention after a certain scene in the last book. It's explored that if Marissa wasn't in the picture there could be something between the two. My heart broke. But I truly love Butch and Marissa together. Ward does a wonderful job showing this love triangle some compassion, and I'm thankful. I truly enjoyed it. It was handled with aplomb.

I'll be the first to admit that I had a lot of frustration with Marissa and Butch's love story. Though I realize because of who they are it makes perfect sense. (The inability to talk things out and just jumping to conclusions always annoys me.) Not to mention that Butch again has thoughts about how angry he'd be if Marissa was no longer a virgin. How he couldn't handle someone else feeding her even though he knows he can trust her. Otherwise this was a great story for Butch and I loved his backstory. Especially the family past. The whole side story of Mr. X was really fun as well as he tries to make the prophecy come true, and getting more details on the Omega was really interesting. As usual all the side stories are fantastic! It's one of my favorite things to see in PNR and I love that it continues throughout the series. This one was a little lighter then the others—well coming off of Zsadist's story it is—but it's still dark and edgy! Man am I looking forward to heralding changes in the future books.

Sexual Content: Humor, bedroom scenes, minor homosexual themes, and some other darker themes about rape. Also deals with domestic violence. A very realistic take on sex and losing one's virginity.

 
5/5- Fabulous, a beautiful obsession!


Previous book(s) in series:
Reviewed on BW: Amazon: Goodreads:
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)
Dark Lover (1)
Lover Eternal (2)
Lover Awakened (3)
Lover Revealed (4)
Lover Unbound (5)
Lover Enshrined (6)
Lover Avenged (7)
Lover Mine (8)
Lover Unleashed (9)
Lover Reborn (10)
Lover at Last (11)
The King (12)
The Shadows (13)
The Beast (14)
The Chosen (15)

No comments: